Wednesday, April 8, 2009

taco flavor kisses for my ben

So, I decided with the weather the way its been going I needed to rip dirt today while I could. So I bussed it up to Lawrence and met up with some peeps from Sunflower Bike and Outdoor, Steele and Andrew, to go for a little river ride. We were planning on 2 laps, and I was to lead the way, since Steele is just coming back from a broken collarbone and Andrew said he was way out of shape. I was reluctant since I had never ran the 40-18 gearing set-up on dirt yet since I converted to single speed. but I took off and was RIPPING! It felt great, I had a 2.3 exiwolf on the front at 25 psi and a specialized crossroads 38c on the rear (cyclo tire) at 75 psi for some nice push on the rear. I also had never ran this tire setup and really liked it as well. So I was ripping and felt great in the gearing, almost like I could go to 40-16 (ya right), then I hit a went over a log funny and my front wheel must have had a few spokes that weren't to tension, because next thing I knew I was face first in the brush on the side of the trail. Tacoed the absolute crapola out of my stock front wheel. So I had a nice little 4 mile hike or so back out the trail/levy/through downtown to the ReCyclery at 23rd and Louisiana. Got some really nice looks going through downtown with a bike draped across my shoulders, tacoed wheel and all, and my clip shoes making the nice clack against the sidewalk. I was going to order stuff to build up new wheels but Brian at the ReCyclery had a wheelset for me that I'd wanted for awhile: Salsa Delgado rims with American Classic hubs (including SS specific back hub) and DT swiss butted spokes. totally badass and he hooked me up, as always. If you are in Lawrence, or if you need a good used or new GT bike, hit up The ReCyclery and tell them I sent you. They're cool guys. Dropped way more money than I was planning on today, but I guess I got the new upgraded wheelset, nice and light, nice and strong, nice and sexy. Now, to just get them tubeless... :)

peace!!!

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHAHA! Thats what you get for riding those funny tires, wierd gearing and showing off for your friends. I know how you are! LOL!

    Really, Sorry you tacoed your crappy rims and had to get new ones, just like you've been dying for! I am psyched! Get over to my place asap and lets get those bitches set-up tubeless...before bonerbender!!!

    ReplyDelete